cdg.net

CDG Forums
Your Ad Here
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22095 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1467, 1468, 1469, 1470, 1471, 1472, 1473  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:41 pm 
Clinically Dead

2 reasons, worldspace normals' channels are tri-directional which I use for some effects and some jazz. The other is that If you wanna fuck with the lowpoly after baking, as long as you don't fuck with the UVs too much all you gotta do is load them shits into handplane and it shits out a perfect-whatever-you-want-map which is also synced to whatever engine you're working with. It's super effective for iterational baking works.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:48 pm 
Old Timer

uh maybe im retarded, is there a difference between world space and object space normal maps?
i've always liked object space normals. They're like tangent space normals except not shit. Then again, with modern poly counts it doesn't really matter.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:42 pm 
Old Timer

Tigg:
http://polycount.com/discussion/101157/ ... normal-map
ObjectSpace is situational (as it can't deform)
http://www.surlybird.com/tutorials/Tang ... index.html

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:59 pm 
Clinically Dead

Shit, I meant object space, not world. I keep mixing them up as I did testbakes trying to discern between object and world and couldn't ever find a difference because I always make my models facing the same direction in max, giving me the same resulting map.

TL;DR: Object says "this is up/north/south, but I see you rotated the model, so Im gonna fix my absolute values to match the rotation u did. I got u bruh", Worldspace says "this is up/north/south. Oh, you rotated something? I say this is east. Fuck you."

Long version:
When you bake them and when you apply them in a shader they can give different results if the orientation has changed between baking and render time. Basically worldspace defines what is up/down, 'north/south' & 'east/west' and everything inbetween. The information is absolute, so it overwrites any and all information available from the model. If you rotate that bitch 90° clockwise and place a light directly north of your model, the faces now pointing east will reflect as if they were facing north.
An objectspace map has the same absolute values within it, but as the name implies, it takes into account the object's placement, rotation and scale in it's own little spacial coordinate system both at baking and at rendering time.
Both of these methods give you some advantages and disadvantages.
+ They don't care at all about what your lowpoly's smoothing or UVs look like. You can therefore do some heavy decimation scripts to get a reverse tesselation going on for your LODs, or you can do everything in one smoothing group to get perfect tesselation with no broken edges, or do insane 120° angles on your lowpoly, not giving a fuck.
+ Edges turned out too sharp? blur your fucking map. No one gives a fuck, least of all you. 0fucks. Don't actually do this though, learn to model properly instead :) BUT YOU CAN :DDDD
- They can't be edited easily after bake if you want an accurate result. You can, but you probably won't. I've tried. It's easier and faster to model that thing than paint it in.
- They don't work well at low texel density (pixels per poly per pixel available on screen). If a polygon that renders 50x50px on screen only has 4x4 pixels of sweet object-space to work with, it's gonna look crap.
- They don't compress well AT ALL due to every pixel being extremely important for a nice overall look. Trying to compress one of these is like saying "I want a Mclaren P1, pay full price for it, have it use as much gas as the standard model, but I want it to have 60BHP and be built from cast-iron."
+ Insert them to your pipeline, and your testbaking for tangent space woes are over. Bake one Object-space map that captures all the pixels, and you're done. Plug your model and OS map into handplane and start hacking away at your lowpoly to figure it out. No rebakes or waiting. Near instant results.

+- Worldspace only: Doesn't track any information about vertex or object rotation at all, making it really simple to render. The GPU is literally copy-pasting the normals to it's pipeline. Can't rotate that model tho.
+- Object space only: Tracks the object's local rotation and other shit in the shader so you can turn the model either way you want. Tracks very little information, really, but the GPU has to alter the information by an amount. Calculation takes rendering time. Better rendering time than tangent space, but worse than world space.
+1-7/2*9000000 Object space: They can't be deformed (by default). Yeah I said it. You can code your shader to track each vertex's deformation and then end up with something that you wrongly call object space but it isn't really that anymore is it? It's object-tangent-hybrid space and you know it. It's what you do when you want the very very best best looking result but at a huge cost to performance. Can't do that shit to an entire large-scale game tho which is y DICE only did it to character models, game would take a year to load. Would be like 150GB too. Fuck.

The main PRO of these two are that they're cheaper to render with an insane level of detail because they do less calculations to get right in the shader. The biggest con is that they can't be compressed much because every pixel of the map defines a very specific tangent in their respective spaces. Compress that, and you lose the definition of what makes them relevant.

I can't talk about those two without mentioning the tangent space maps and why we all use them. Yeah, they do all that manual labour of tracking each vertex's normal at every frame, but that's what makes them relevant. If your lowpoly is set up with kindness in mind with lots of splits, maybe some supporting geometry, then the normal map hardly has any information in it at all. That'll compress like a motherfucker! If you're not planning on tesselating it, or use a 3d painting software for texturing, you're set! You can merge detail-normals into them easily, and add floaters in photoshop if you just split off the blue channel so you mix them correctly. They are the hardest on the GPU to calculate, but that's all calculation speed related. If you look at how our hardware has improved over the last decade, memory has had nearly no improvements. It's just smaller and more, while the calculation methods have gotten insanely better.

*drunk rant edited while sober.

Last edited by Thanez on Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:54 am 
Pre-schooler

your sig is incredibly relevant right now

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:22 am 
Old Timer

School project, designing an environment, all blocking phase input welcome!

Currently I am looking for critique and suggestions relating to interior design, laconic item placement, and cubular with chamfer/beveled forms.

My design influences include:
Fallout, surgeon simulator (geometry style), Portal, Halflife 2, Mri machines, clean retro laboratory equipment.

Thanks for stopping by, and for any input!

Scene is named: Elements

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:46 pm 
Wise Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:40 am 
Old Timer

Zbrush class first attempt! crazy UI

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:59 am 
Old Timer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:32 pm 
Clinically Dead

Likeness is pretty damn good, can't wait to see this come together.

I'm still working on this. Missing the spring ATM, can't figure out how to model it so it'll animate with the striker about 130°

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:05 pm 
Old Timer

I like the base material so far Thanez!

As always another school project!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:51 pm 
Old Timer

Callin Dis dun

Now yall finish your textures of it and show me how much better you are!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:18 am 
Clinically Dead

Looking good. The materials are behaving like they should. I'd still love to see some variation in the glossiness within each material to make each bit more interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:34 am 
Wise Old Man

Nice work waedoe!

Great job with the model and doing all the internal bits, the texture could use some more improvement but I don't have any specific helpful advice on how to achieve that.
A small thing I noticed is that the rear of the fire selector could use some more sides to round it out, but that's a very minor thing - great work!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:47 am 
Old Timer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22095 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1467, 1468, 1469, 1470, 1471, 1472, 1473  Next